9.21.2010

What is your childhood trauma

I think I was around 8 or 9 when I became addicted to The Babysitters Club. I used to think Ann M. Martin had a magic mirror where she watched me stash fun-sized Snickers and Almond Joys in my dresser, deciding my penchant for art, ultra-conservative Asian parents and baby blue platform sneakers would make for a great Token Minority in her literary ensemble of tweenage babysitters.

Claudia was always my favorite, and I can't even explain how traumatized I was when she had to stay back in the 7th grade because of her poor grades or when she had to suffer through summer school in that terrible BSC movie.

No surprise that I not-so-secretly love the What Claudia Wore Blog.

What Claudia Wore: #60: Mary Anne's Makeover: "#60: Mary Anne's Makeover - Claudia "can put together the oddest collection of clothes - a slouch hat, a sequined vest, an oversized button-down shirt, stirrup pants, and lace-up boots - and she looks stunning.""

My rendition of #60 Claudia looks like a 2-D version of designer Jen Kao when I visited her studio a few years ago. Jen was wearing fitted grey pants tucked into high tops, with a baggy shirt and a slouchy beanie. She was tall, lean and so lovely - had a bit of a girl-crush on her, truthfully.

Please excuse the less than smooth lines and uneven coloring - Digital illustration is not my usual thing and I haven't had much practice in the medium (plus my mouse is missing in action, leaving me to color on my laptop's touchpad). That said, I'm going to attempt illustrating all of the looks described on What Claudia Wore. Wish me luck!

8 comments:

  1. Seriously beautiful! Esp. loving the pattern of the leggings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! I can't wait to see the rest! Will you only do Claudia's outfits? Because some of the other girls looks described on What Claudia Wore are epic: Mary Anne's famous cities skirt, Dawn silver outfit in #50, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um... you have to keep doing this. Every day. For every outfit. It's amazing. You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is amazing! I love the detail on the leggings
    And I really liked Claudia Kishi in the BSC, esp her fashion, so I am very excited about your drawings :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - this is FREAKING FANTASTIC! You're my new favorite. Just so's ya know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely adored this Claudia look to the point that I sort-of tried (and failed) to recreate it here - http://actuallyfrankie.wordpress.com/2013/09/22/outfit-post-steal-some-color-share-some-skin-lookbook-sunday/.

    Please keep drawing more looks! Your drawings are amazing and totally inspiring!

    ReplyDelete